Highlights of this hike:
1. A lifetime experience: see the sunrise/sunset on the untouched authentic Great Wall;
2. Suitable for keen hikers: This is a tour package that combines both hiking and camping;
3. This section of wall is completely untouched and almost devoid of tourists, allowing for a serene walk;
4. Awesome views for photographers;
5. Chinese family visit and home-made Chinese meals;
6. Small group of maximum of 15 travelers；
7. No commission shopping stops.
Price and discount:
The cost is 1100RMB (about 180 US$) per person. It includes camping gears (tents, pads, sleep bags, big backpacks), transportation, entrance fees, water, three meals and guides. We give 10% discount for members and kids under 12’s.
Camping on the Great Wall of China must rank among one of the greatest experiences on this planet. Have you ever imagine to sleep on the Ming Dynasty Great Wall which was built about 600 years ago and witness sunrises and sunsets there? We can turn it into reality for you. This is a tour package that combines both hiking and camping. It is especially suitable for outdoor lovers like you. You will cherish this unique experience and it will become a special life-time memory!
Day 1: We will meet at 9:30am in the morning. It takes us about 2.5 hours to get there. We will have a lunch at a local farmer’s guest house. After lunch we will start our hike at the Qiangzilu Great Wall. Qiangzilu Great Wall stands seventy kilometers east of Miyun and even hikers seldom know this section of wall. The wall is very wild and it is a great chance to witness the remote, historic and unspoiled Great Wall. The temperature there is even lower than other rural areas in Miyun county. There is a small village nearby the wall which only has two families. We will pass by two beacon towers and four watch towers. It makes a 90-degree turn here, in one of the most magnificent stretches of the Qiangzilu Great Wall.
We will camp inside the topmost watch tower., where you will be able to get good reviews of the mountains and the wall around. In the evening we can have a nice talk, see the stars or drink a beer on the wall.
You will find that besides the hiking partners, your travel companions will be limited to birds, bugs and all sorts of trees. You will spend a great time on the wall, enjoying the sunset in the late afternoon, the glittering stars in the evening and the sunrise in the early morning. Get out of the hustle and bustle of the hectic city life, forget about all your works to do, breathe the ever-refreshing air, hike or meditate on the Great Wall, listen to the nature as well as your self, relax your body, mind and soul, get connection with the tranquility of nature and the inner peace again.
Day 2: We might be waken up by the birds and the air in the morning is really fresh. If you want to see the sunrise you need wake up a bit early. After walking around and taking pictures, we will pack up our camping gears and come down the wall. We will have a breakfast at a local guest house. Then the driver will drive us back Beijing and we will arrive at downtown Beijing at about noon.
Bad weather plan:
We will email you 2-3 days before the camping tour to let you know about the weather condition. If there is thunder storm, heavy rain or strong wind it will be dangerous to do the camping tour on the Great Wall. So we will cancel it or change the dates. If the weather is fine in the daytime but rainy at night, we will stay the night at a local guest house.
What to bring on this hike?
1. Comfortable hiking boots and a suitable size daypack;
2. Quick-drying dress in summer and windproof dress in autumn, raincoat; warm clothes for the evening, spare socks and underwear;
3. Sun protection: hat, sunscreen, sunglasses;
4. Snacks and energy complement;
5. Flashlight or head lamp;
6. Toilet paper and hand sanitizer;
7. Toothbrush, small towel;
8. Pocket knife, personal first-aid, mosquito killer;
9. Some medicine for diarrhea and heat stroke;
10. Entertainment: a book, cards, a bottle of drink.
Level of difficulty for this hike: Level 3+ (Moderate hikes)
The level of these hikes are moderate and suitable for most people. The hiking time is usually 3-4 hours and the hikes usually include some more steep trails. They tend to 6-12 kilometers in length and approximately 500-1000 meters in elevation. However Level 3 hikes aren’t tough and most people can make it without trouble as long as you have a reasonable level of fitness and are in good health.
For whom are Level 3 hikes suitable?
Level 3 hikes are suitable for people who are fit and healthy. It is better to have a bit of prior hiking experiences.
What is included on this hike?
1. Camping gear (tents, pads, sleeping bags, big backpacks);
2. Air-conditioned vehicle with experienced driver;
3. English-speaking hiking tour guide;
4. Entrance fees;
5. Unlimited bottled water;
6. Three meals (the first day’s lunch, dinner and the second day’s breakfast).
What is excluded on this hike?
1. Travel insurance;
2. Cable car, chairlift, toboggan (slide way) or any other additional local facilities;
3. Personal expenses.
Customize this hike and make a private reservation:
In addition to our regular weekly hikes, we also offer private tours. You can customize a private hike for you, your family or your friends exclusively. Just tell us what you want and we will organize a hike for you, with places, guides, transport, food, and accommodation all taken care of. You can make a private reservation on the private tour page.
Pricing for a private tour:
Cost (per person)
1. A private tour is more flexible. Both extra distance and less distance are available.Notes:
2. Discounts are available for larger groups.
3. Prices are quoted in Chinese dollars.
1. There are risks involved in outdoor activities. Please read our Risk Acknowledgment and Waiver and inform yourself before participating.
Other information about this hike:
Reviews of this hiking and camping tour
Information about Qiangzilu Great Wall
Great Wall Facts