Highlights of this hike:
1. This hike covers two different sections of the Great Wall: Wangquanyu Great Wall and Lianyunling Great Wall. It offers a great chance for you to witness a wide variety of both architecture and topography, as well as to sample the culture and history;
2. Walk on both restored and unrestored authentic wild Great Wall: an excellent chance for you to compare and contrast what the wall may have looked like when they were originally finished, and how it looks after about 600 years of exposure to the elements;
3. Explore the unique lakeside Great Wall which is off the beaten path;
4. Awesome views for photographers;
5. Home-made Chinese meals at a local farmer’s guest house;
6. Stay at a local guest house: a great chance for you to know about rural Chinese culture and rural Chinese lifestyle;
7. Camping overnight on the Great Wall is optional;
8. No commission shopping stops.
Price and discount:
If you attend a group tour or if the number of people is above 6, the cost is 1800RMB (about 280 US$) per person. It includes transportation, entrance fees, water, four meals and guides. We give 10% discount for members and kids under 12’s.
Day 1: Zhuanghu Village to Wangquanyu Great Wall Hiking
We will start this hike from Zhuanghu Walled Village, following a relatively easy hillside path to get to the Great Wall. The climb isn’t steep and it will take us about 30 minutes. After reaching the Great Wall we’ll head south east, following the Great Wall as it winds along the mountainous ridge. This section of wall still retains its original appearance since its construction in 1580. It is a "wild" section of the Great Wall without any rebuilding. Its disrepair makes it an ideal place for adventurous and experienced hikers and photographers. You will have awesome views of mountains, villages, and the Great Wall in the distance. If we go hiking there at the workdays usually we won’t see anyone else on the Wall the whole day.
We will walk on the wall for about 3 hours, passing through many watch towers. Built stably and elegantly, different towers have different structures and appearances. Some towers are ruined and some others are still well-preserved. We have enough time to stop and look around or take pictures. If you’re looking for some truly extraordinary hiking in one of the most beautiful natural settings, then this Great Wall hike is a wonderful choice.
Day 2: Xiangshuihu Scenic Area and Lianyunling Great Wall Visit
After breakfast we will visit Xiangshuihu Scenic Area and Lianyunling Great Wall. Xiangshuihu Scenic Area is located in Bohai Town, Huairou District, and 78 kilometers from the downtown Beijing. It ranks among Beijing’s first group of Demonstration Base of Traditional Chinese Medicien (TCM) Culture Toursim.
The scenic area is located in a valley which the Great Wall builders of the Ming Dynasty had carefully chosen for part of their fortress works. It features the precipitous Moshikou Pass, which is know as "No.1 Wonder of Chinese Great Wall", Longmen Feixue Waterfall, Lianyun Cave, Tuteng Pavilion, the source of Xiangshui Lake with a daily water yield of 25,930 tons, 2-kilometer-long Body Care Canyon with a 1000-meter-long water view composed of over 200 pools and waterfalls, stone carvings of 50 ancient and famous doctors, 100-mu fruit-picking plantation and more than 100 varieties of medical herbs which can be found along the visiting trail.
In the scenic area, the negative oxygen ion content reaches 9,300 per square meters, nearby 100-fold more than the downtown area. The calcium content and magnesium content in the sweet spring water respectively reach 35.7MG/L and 15.4MG/L.
Bad weather plan:
We will email you 2-3 days before the hike to let you know about the weather condition. If there is thunder storm, heavy rain or strong wind it will be dangerous to do the hike on the wild unrestored Great Wall in the mountains. So we will cancel it, change the dates or arrange a hike to the restored section of the Great Wall.
What to bring on this hike?
2. Sun protection: hat, sunscreen, sunglasses, long-sleeved shirt;
3. Two bottles of sports drink with salt content;
4. Comfortable sport shoes (hiking boots are strongly suggested).
Level of difficulty for this hike: Level 3 (Moderate hikes)
The level of these hikes are moderate and suitable for most people. The hiking time is usually 3-4 hours and the hikes usually include some more steep trails. They tend to 6-12 kilometers in length and approximately 500-1000 meters in elevation. However Level 3 hikes aren’t tough and most people can make it without trouble as long as you have a reasonable level of fitness and are in good health.
For whom are Level 3 hikes suitable?
Level 3 hikes are suitable for people who are fit and healthy. It is better to have a bit of prior hiking experiences.
What is included on this hike?
1. Air-conditioned vehicle with experienced driver;
2. English-speaking hiking tour guide;
3. Entrance fees;
4. Unlimited bottled water;
5. Four meals and one night’s accommodation.
What is excluded on this hike?
1. Travel insurance;
2. Cable car, chairlift, toboggan (slide way) or any other additional local facilities;
3. Personal expenses.
Customize this hike and make a private reservation:
In addition to our regular weekly hikes, we also offer private tours. You can customize a private hike for you, your family or your friends exclusively. Just tell us what you want and we will organize a hike for you, with places, guides, transport, food, and accommodation all taken care of. You can make a private reservation on the private tour page.
Pricing for a private tour:
Cost (per person)
1. A private tour is more flexible. Both extra distance and less distance are available.
2. Discounts are available for larger groups.
3. Prices are quoted in Chinese dollars.Notes:
1. There are risks involved in outdoor activities. Please read our Risk Acknowledgment and Waiver and inform yourself before participating.
Other information about this hike:
Reviews of this Hike
Great Wall Facts